Thursday, May 24, 2012

Haad Rin - The Beach of Flames and Buckets

Location: Haad Rin, Koh Pha Ngan, Thailand
NP: Envio - For You (The Blizzard Remix)
Mood: Antsy

Taking a walk on the sandy beach of Haad Rin (Hat Rin) you'll notice a near total lack of the hippie vibe of old that I've been told about. The beach has changed. For better or worse, during the recent years growing tourism on Koh Pha Ngan has changed it into a relaxed little hive of quiet activity which transforms into a techno-tooting beach party every night. I imagine the change is far more drastic during the Full Moon Parties.

Currently at night there are only two bars open on the beach after 11 pm. Of those two, the Cactus Bar is by far the louder and more crowded abode with flashy fire shows and wild dancing. The staggering masses sway to the music and teem with vibrant, bucket-induced energy. Buckets are sold by a mass of vendors by their dirty-sloganed stalls at the beach. A bucket consists of your choice of booze, Coke or Sprite, and a small bottle of energy drink.

The gathered crowd consists pleasantly of mixed races. Europeans, Americans and Asians (mostly Thai) populate the beach with various activities, of which the two most common by far are dancing and drinking, or in a word, frolicking. It is a youthful place, not meant for the old and weary.

"I've seen you walk by every day", a Thai female told me as I was taking a picture of my friend doing the fire limbo (walking under an ever lower rope that is on fire). "How old are you?" another one asked.

Me relaxing at Sea Garden Resort & Spa.

"Eighteen", I replied.

5 comments:

  1. If she believed you, it would be a magic, haha! But did she? :)
    -MLC-

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm afraid she didn't. She responded by telling me she's fourteen. I thought that's a bit young for this beach...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am twelve...:)
    -MLC-

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bracelets you are wearing, you bought them in Thailand? Are you going to follow Bhuddism or something? ;P
    -MLC-

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I had the bracelets already in Finland. I don't wear them too often at home, just at times. And oh, if I believed you, it would be magic. :)

    ReplyDelete